My primary research areas are digital ethics and ethics of defence technologies, with a particular focus on the ethical, legal, social and governance implications of using digital technologies for national defence and security purposes.
I am Associate Professor and Senior Research Fellow at the Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford and Defence Science and Technology (Dstl, UK Ministry of Defence) Ethics Fellow Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute.
My most recent articles focus on the definition of ethical principles for the use of AI in defence and the moral permissibility of autonomous weapon systems (AWS) including the definition of autonomous weapon systems the definition of autonomous weapon systems , the attribution of moral responsibility for their actions , the application of jus ad bellum to AWS, and the application of the principles of distinction, necessity, and the doctrine of double effect to the use of these systems.
Prior to joining the Oxford Internet Institute, I was Research Fellow in Cyber Security and Ethics – Politics & International Studies – University of Warwick. Prior my work at the University of Warwick, I held a Marie Curie Fellowship at the University of Hertfordshire working on Information Warfare and its ethical implications. I obtained a PhD (Doctor Europeus) in Philosophy at the University of Padua. My PhD thesis focused on the epistemic and ethical implications of the occurrences of e-Trust in distributed systems. I graduated in Philosophy at the University of Bari with a MA thesis on the Symbol Grounding Problem.
Service to The Profession and Board Membership
- Member of the Ethics Advisory Committee to the UK Ministry of Defence
- Editor-in-chief of Minds & Machines (Springer)
- Editor-in-chief of Philosophical Studies Series (Springer)
Past Positions and Associations
- Research Fellow in Cyber Security and Ethics Politics & International Studies, University of Warwick.
- Marie Curie Fellow Philosophy, School of Humanities, University of Hertfordshire.
- Senior Research Associate Information Ethics Group (IEG), University of Oxford.
- Research Associate Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics , University of Oxford.
- Executive editor of Philosophy & Technology (Springer)
- Fellow of the World Economic Forum’ Council for the Future of Cybersecurity
- President of the International Association for Computing and Philosophy (2013-2016).
Some of my talks are available here
My Google Scholar profile is available here
My LinkedIn profile is available here
My Twitter account is @RosariaTaddeo